Follow Us

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

1/100 MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame

I used a non-grade 1/100 Gundam Astray Red Frame kit  to make this one. They look pretty much exactly the same except for the
frame colour, the decals and weapons. 

I'm not quite sure if this could be considered an out-of-the-box build since to my knowledge there hasn't been a 1/100 version of the MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame that came out. I made this from the non-grade 1/100 MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Frame. They're basically similar in form except for the frame colour and decals. I was planning for this to be a two-phase project, this being phase one which is the base unit of the Astray Blue Frame. For Phase two, I was hoping to tackle the Full Weapon Form version of the Astray Blue Frame. As far as I am aware of, hobbynotoriko did a 1/144 version of this and he got the parts from other HG 1/144 kits. But the specific kits where he got the other parts from did not really come in 1/100 scale so I may have to dip my toes into some scratch building action. Wish me luck.



I haven't really gone through the paces of documenting a project through each step of the process. But I did get some photos on some junctions of this project. This is again a first of sorts for me, it's the first time I tried the pre-shading technique. I feel it turned out quite nicely but my only regret is that my excitement to paint got way ahead of me. I got lazy and neglected to clean out nub marks and seam lines. Of course that's no excuse but I am learning a lot as I go along. On the the pictures:

Time to prime! I made a rhyme. Hahaha!

Primed and ready.

Test fit with the unpainted white parts of the armour.

For a closer look.

And now for some pre-shading action.

And now for the painful part... Masking...

Especially the hands! Actually, I took a tip from one of the Gundam forum members. He suggested to paint the hands white and just hand-paint the blue parts. Brilliant!

Painting complete! Now to put on the decals...

And finally... Phase One complete!

 




Please stay tuned for Phase Two. Thanks for viewing.





No comments:

Post a Comment